Obligations of Apprentice Licensees
By submitting your application and accepting the license issued by the Board, you become obligated to abide all the provisions of the Statute and by the Rules established by the Board, including the Ethical Standards.
Here is a basic list of those obligations. Please keep this list for future reference.
1. You must make your license available for inspection at all job sites.
Generally, the Board recommends wearing it as an ID badge at all times while performing locksmith services.
2. If you have any unlicensed employees, you must see to it that they never perform locksmith services requiring a license unless a licensed locksmith is present to provide direct supervision of their work. You
must see to it that your employees have a valid license before allowing them to perform locksmith services without direct supervision by a licensed locksmith.
3. If you have any employees, licensed or not, you are required to provide the Board with a list of those employees if they have access to any locksmith tools, customer keys, or key records. You must notify the Board within 30 days of any changes to this list of employees.
4. You are obligated to uphold the Ethical Standards imposed by the Board. This is section .0500 of the Rules. Read it carefully. Violations of the Ethical Standards can result in disciplinary action by the Board,
including revocation of your license.
5. The Statute and Rules spell out standards for verifying and recording the identity and authority of persons requesting entry into properties (vehicles, buildings, safes, etc.) with the assistance of a locksmith. You are obligated to comply with these standards.
6. It will be your responsibility to comply with any continuing education requirements the Board establishes and to apply for license renewal before your license expires.
Application Checklist for Locksmith Apprentice License
All required supporting documents must be included with your application. Applications submitted without required documents will not be processed until all required materials are submitted. Make sure that all the following documents are enclosed with your completed application form:
|A copy of your legal resident alien documents, if you are not a US Citizen.|
|A copy of any relevant license you hold from another state, if applicable.|
|A copy of any Certifications you have earned, if applicable.|
|Complete and accurate explanations of any affirmative answers on questions 13–16.|
|A photograph taken within the 3 months preceding application (printed or .jpg).|
|A certified criminal history report from your county of residence, and from the county in which your business is based (if different)|
|A copy of your last military discharge papers (DD-214 or equivalent), if applicable.|
|Notarized Authorization for release of records form.|
|Completed and signed Authority for Release of Information for state and federal record check.|
|A check or money order for $338 ($100 license fee + $38 for SBI/FBI record check, + $200 examination fee), payable to NC Locksmith Licensing Board. Returned checks are subject to a $25 fee. In the event that the check accompanying your application is returned unpaid, the processing of your application will be halted until both the check amount and the returned check fee are paid in full.|
|A completed test registration form.|
|Make a copy of your application and all supporting documents for your records|
|Read “Obligations of Apprentice Licensees.” File this for your records.|